The People of Oregon hereby amend the Oregon Constitution by adding the following: SECTION 1. PROHIBITION ON PUBLIC FUNDING FOR ABORTIONS.
The state shall not spend public funds for any abortion, except when medically necessary or as may be required by federal law.
SECTION 2. DEFINITIONS.
As used in this Article:
- “Public funds” means funds and moneys under the control or in the custody of the State of Oregon or any of its political subdivisions or public officials.
- “Abortion” means the purposeful termination of a clinically diagnosed pregnancy of a woman resulting in the death of the human embryo or fetus.
- “Medically necessary” means a condition in which a licensed physician determines that the pregnant woman suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness that would place her in danger of death unless an abortion is performed, including a life- endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself.
SECTION 3. EXCEPTIONS.
- Public funds may be spent to pay for an abortion when federal law requires states to provide funding for abortions, such as in circumstances including rape or incest, in which case this Article shall be applied consistent with federal law to the extent the federal requirement is found to be constitutional.
- Public funds may be spent to pay for the termination of a clinically diagnosed ectopic pregnancy.
SECTION 4. OTHER PROVISIONS.
Nothing in this Article shall be construed as prohibiting the expenditure of public funds to pay for health insurance as long as such funds are not spent to pay or reimburse for the costs of performing abortions.
DRAFT BALLOT TITLE
Amends Constitution: Prohibits state from spending “public funds” (defined) for “abortion” (defined); reduces abortion access
Result of “Yes” Vote: “Yes” vote amends constitution, prohibits state spending “public funds” (defined) for “abortion” (defined); state may not pay for insurance covering “abortion”; reduces abortion access; exceptions.
Result of “No” Vote: “No” vote retains current law allowing state to spend public funds for abortion or health insurance plans covering abortion when medical professional determines medically necessary.
Summary: Amends Constitution. Current law allows abortion to be provided, when determined by medical professional to be medically necessary, under public health plans available to qualified and eligible persons, or under health insurance policies obtained through a public employer or other public service. Measure amends constitution to prohibit the state from spending “public funds” (defined) to pay for any “abortion” (defined). The state may not pay for insurance benefits that cover “abortion.” Effect on spending by public entities other than the state is unclear. Measure reduces access to abortion. Measure defines “abortion” as “purposeful termination of a clinically diagnosed pregnancy.” Exceptions for payments required by federal law and for abortion to terminate ectopic pregnancy or to prevent death of pregnant woman; other exceptions. Other provisions.